Tuesday, March 26, 2013

New biking designation close by: Price, UT

 One weekend when my parents went away to do some grandkid sitting, I was left home alone.  I was going to go up with them thinking I can take my bike with me and do some biking where they were going to be which was Antelope Island.  I called the people at Antelope Island and they said the trails there were still muddy.  So I stayed home anyway.  That Friday night, I felt like going someplace for the weekend to bike where there was no snow or mud.  I browsed all through the internet and found about Price which was right over the other side my mountain, it still was a 2 hour drive though, but less than Moab or St. George, even Antelope Island.  Like places with low elevations and desert environment.

 When I got there at the trailhead, the weather was decent and good enough for jacket weather.  Later on, I was in shorts and a thermal jersey, it was perfect weather.  The trails I did was Luke's and S'mo Joes.  They were awesome trails.  They looked like they weren't ridden much because of early of the year.  I think all the snow just barely melted off like a week before.  These trails had a lot of turns and twists and this system of trails reminded me a lot of a trail I used to love in Farmington, NM.  They both have trails on a mesa and goes in a loop like this.  The trail in New Mexico was the Road Apple Trail.

 At halfway of the loop, at the top, was a fork out of some more trails that go further north, I guess I've read that they are awesome too and adds like 1,500 of vertical climbing.  There were no tracks at all on these trails, so I figured don't do them yet and wait like a few weeks later after a few people have ridden them so I would know where I would go.
 The total miles in the loop was like around 8 or 9 miles, when I got back to the trailhead, I wanted to do more.  So I did Luke's again and did it an out and back, and also rode Alan's Alley.  So the total miles I did that was 15 miles.  It was a blast.  I am planning to go back again and do this loop plus the northern trails, since it's so close to where I live.
Here's a sweet map of all the mountain bike trails near Price.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Looks like some pretty good trails.

Daniel said...

Yeah, I bet there are some dirt bike trails somewhere you need to find. It looks like the kind of place that should have some good dirt biking. These trails I did were great but they are non motorized.