Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Surviving through the winter!


Winter is the hardest time of the year for my cycling training, especially during the holidays because #1 you can't ride, #2 too much food, and #3 you can't ride! So, it's the cruelest season for a cyclist. To survive it, it's time to spend time to do some cross-training and preparation. Cross-training provides a break from riding a bike while building cardiovascular fitness. Such as hiking, running, xc skiing, snowshoeing, swim, and weights. I always definitely do weight lifting but I should include an aerobic exercise. Strength training means greater endurance by strengthening slow-twitch muscles which may raise the lactate threshold. Also injury prevention is another reason. For a mountain biker, function, not form, is the goal so I do high repetitions with low weight. I especially do the legs by doing squats, step ups, and hamstring curls then do upper body workouts like lateral pulldown, standing row, seated row, and bench presses. Core workouts is a must for a cyclist because that's where you get most of your strength on pedaling a bike. Every year I start lifting weights in November by using really light weight for a month then December and January is reserved for heavier loads. I like to lift for the whole body workout twice a week then ride the indoor trainer once a week and xc ski on the weekend. On the indoor stationary trainer, I really ride because you can't really get as a good workout as you get outside on a real ride. So, I go hard that I constantly sweat hard like sweat pooring like Lance Armstrong climbing on the L'alpe De Huez climb in the Tour de France. To go that hard, I can get my heart rate up to 75-85% of max. During the weekend xc skiing is a lot of fun to get me some aerobic exercise(about 80-85% of max). I try to save all the anerobic exercise(90-95% of max) for the racing season. I spent the last two weeks xc skiing like 4 times a week and took a break from weight lifting. Then in January, I get back on weights for another month, then I will be ready to ride outside on the bike to train for the races in spring.
My winter training: Monday: weights
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: indoor cycling
Thursday: weights
Friday: off
Saturday: xc skiing
Sunday: off

10 comments:

Tony said...

Awesome, I hear ya... I love all the food, but I HATE all the food! All this free food at work etc., it's hard to turn down!(and I usually don't!:)) I do pushups, crunches, wallstands, dumbells etc. at work whenever I can, then pullups and weights at home..ride the indoor bike or run outside. It's tough when there's so much food and it gets dark so early!! Really hard to find the time/motivation.

Daniel said...

Yeah, especially when you are working 10 hour days, it's pretty hard when it's cold and dark outside before and after work. During the weekdays when I work, I just do exercises inside when it's -20 and black outside. Since I don't have to work all of Christmas break, I am like xc skiing outside at the foothills every single day. I am going right now, I have got my car started, my car started! At the first time! So I am going skiing, bye.

Putz said...

daniel's car started, a miracle, i guess the temp was above 25 plus degress and not minus 15 degrees, and it makes a differance

Putz said...

HE HAS EXCHANGED ALL THE SPARK PLUGS AND NOW HAS BOUGHT A MAGNETIC HEATER TO PUT ON HIS OIL PAN, WANTS TO GO NORTH TO SEE AVITAR IN 3 D

Tony said...

How are things?
I'm back on my routine this week(after straying through the holidays). I need to loose some pounds and get my strength better before white wash in April.
How was xc skiing?

Daniel said...

Good. I haven't gone XC skiing since last week but I have been riding on my stationary bike. I haven't had my car all week(getting fixed)this week. I think once it warms up to 40 degrees, I am going to start riding my bike up the paved canyon road.

Shell said...

Cool, I hope they can make your car work better. I'm really looking forward to warmer weather. We're thinking of Little Moab in March if you're interested in meeting us out there. You could sleep in the trailer like last time if you want. I think Brayd and O want you to bring your RC truck again, Brayd will have his own by then too.

Tony said...

Dang!, that was me, not Shell...although I was talking to her about this too when I was writing it lol:)

Daniel said...

That would be fun, which weekend? I have a bike race in St. George on the first Saturday of March. If my car starts again tomorrow morning, I'll be one happy person.

Tony said...

I don't know, we'll let you know.
Hope your car keeps working!