Saturday, October 11, 2008

Next bike?


The Klein Attitude I have now I think it will last one more year so I kind of went shopping. I called Mad Dog Cycles and asked they were still Klein dealers and they said they don't make them anymore. That is a real bummer. Klein cycles are real nice bikes. They are strong and I love the internal cables on them. I also love the gradient aluminum on them. I called the Alberquerque Bicycle Center in New Mexico and the guy said that he didn't know but thinks there will be some Klein bikes next year. I hope so, cross your fingers. So, if I can't get a Klein bike then I will get a Trek 8500(picture above). Trek and Klein was in the same company while Klein was there with Trek then they moved to Japan. Now it's just Trek, and Klein, I don't know where the heck they went. I will need to call Trek next Monday and ask if Klein is still in business in Japan. Anyways, the reason I chose Trek as a back up is because it uses the exact same parts the Klein bikes uses, Bontrager parts. I love the Bontrager wheels, you never have to true them at all. My last two Kleins had Bontrager wheels and I never had to true them once and they are still true. I love the Bontrager carbon seatpost and handlebars. I love the Fox RL 100 fork, the same one I have right now on my Klein but it's a newer model. This Trek bike has all XT components. This is a hardtail and I want a hardtail because I love the feel of it on the climbs and is very popular for XC racers. Because it is a hardtail, it is at a reasonable price at $2,859. The only thing I don't like on this bike is that there are no internal cables like what Klein has but I sure do love the white color on it. I don't know, but I could buy this bike at the end of the season next year at a lower cost or go ahead and get the 2010 model at the retail price.

12 comments:

Skybob said...

Great idea, you don't want to be pedaling that old hunk-a-junk klien around too much longer. Those things are only meant to last a couple years, maybe three at the most anyways.

Daniel said...

Serious riders get a new bike every two years because parts really wear out, especially the drivetrain. Usually it is a lot cheaper to get a whole new bike than to just get new parts. Like a new wheelset for $1,000, a crank for $300, hydraulic disc brakes for $600, shifter/brake levers for $300, etc. Parts are really expensive these days(look at the internet). So what's better, a whole brand new bike or a bike with an old frame with new parts(spent the same amount of money both ways)? I'd go for a whole new bike.

Skybob said...

What's wrong with your wheelset, levers, crank, and brakes?

Daniel said...

Worn out. I have been riding my bike every day for the last three years now and like I said, they just wear out. Things wear out you know, like a car.

Daniel said...

The Klein is in pretty good shape now but didn't I say "I think" it will last one more year.

Putz said...

I say go for it Daniel. You surely do love your biking. the mom

Skybob said...

Yea go for it! it's not like you can just replace bearings in the wheelset, or the sprockets on the crank, or the chain..or the tires?..just be honest, you want the new latest and greatest and your willing to pay for it..great!

Skybob said...

The Trek looks like a killer bike, a lot like your klein. Do they still make XTR components?

Daniel said...

They still make XTR and they are very nice but they are way out of my budget. The XTR crankset alone is $600 and the rear derailler is like $160. They make bikes with XTR but the bikes are like $6,000-$9,000 and the frames are carbon fiber. Yes, it's in my dreams but I am not stupid to pay that much for a bike unless I am a professional racer or something, then I would get one of those if a team manager pays for the bike. I just want to get a good bike at a reasonable price which is the one on the post. If I was going to get a full suspension with the same parts, it would be $4,000 but thank goodness I like hardtails for some reason. Hardtails are good for XC racing. Because you get a lot more kick on them.

Skybob said...

I like the white, but I don't think I like the white on my dirt bike anymore. It seems to get dirty too easy. I think I might get some black or red plastics and try those for a while. that's one cool thing about dirt bikes, $120 for a whole new set of plastics.

Skybob said...

I take that back, I just found one for $99! Sweet! It's only in red and white though.

Daniel said...

That's really cool!