Sunday, September 27, 2015

Skyline Bike Hike...if that's what they call it...


Utah had above normal temperatures this weekend and I took the opportunity to go up to the top of the world and bike the dang thing.  I've been planning to ride the Skyline Drive all summer, even last year.  I tried to attempt it one weekend in August but it was very windy and cold when I got up there.  So I gave up for the rest of the year.  But I lucked out this weekend, in order to have a perfect ride, it has to be hot down at the valley and with no wind at all.  This weekend just had that.


It felt real nice at the skyline, since it's at 10,000 feet elevation, it was 60 degrees.  I could bear that.  So I rode from the top of Ephraim Canyon and rode south all the way to High Top which is above between Sterling and Mayfield canyons.


High Top is 14 miles south of Ephraim Canyon and it is the highest point of Skyline Drive.


Such a good view from High Top.  Well, anywhere on the whole ride had good, beautiful views.  There were a lot of atv riders too and they were all friendly and waved.  I turned around at High Top and headed north.


If I remember it right, I'm pretty sure there were about 4 or 5 climbs that lasted 10 to 15 minutes each, then the rest of the way was pretty straightforward flat.  I rode on the easiest part of Skyline Drive and I still logged in 28.5 miles and climbed 2,005 feet elevation total.  It was a good ride and very pretty.  Now my bucket list might be complete for this year!  Whooo hoo!

No comments: