Sunday, September 22, 2013

Strawberry Narrows


I wanted to try out the Strawberry Narrows bike trail for a long time.  I finally went and it was better than I expected.  The trail is right by Strawberry Reservoir which is close to Heber City.  My dad and I took off and we took the short cut from Spanish Fork Canyon instead of driving through Provo and Heber City.  Way faster.  We stayed the night at the Lodge at Strawberry Bay and it wasn't so bad and they even had a restaurant there.  I did some fishing also that night and had some great luck.


The next morning, I took off at the other side of the lake and started riding my bike from the eastern side of the lake by Aspen Grove campground.  I started there and rode about 11 miles through the twisting trails, through the woods and by the lake.
 

I was in for a real treat, the trail was really smooth, flowy, and awesome.  It was a little chilly though but I guess a light jacket and arm warmers made the morning bearable. 


I was kind of struggling during the first half of the ride, I was bonking and such so I decided to not do the longer ride.  I decided to turn around at the 5 mile mark which was at Broad Hollow.  Broad Hollow is a little past at the View Point which is halfway of the trail.  I wanted to do the whole thing until Poison Ridge or close to that but I was bonking and didn't want my dad to wait that long for me either.


Fishermen.  I was one of them the day before, except on shore.


Before I turning around on my ride, I sucked up a lot of energy gel and after that on the way back, I wasn't bonking anymore and had a lot more energy.  I felt pretty good and I felt bad that I turned around soon enough.  It was getting warmer too.  I could have gone maybe another couple miles or maybe all the way to Poison Ridge.  Plus my dad said to me when I got back that he wouldn't mind that I would take all day.  Oh well, maybe next time I will go on a longer ride.  But it was great while it lasted.



I caught this 20 inch cutthroat trout the night before my ride.  And another big fish but it was smaller than this one but still big.


This is in Indian Creek on during the drive home.  It was a very good gravel road from Strawberry Reservoir to Rays Valley Road.  It was a very good drive.


I would go there again another time and do the whole trail next time.  I loved it, it was scenic, electrifying, and awesome!  And the fishing was fabulous. 

No comments: