Tuesday, October 25, 2011

San Rafael Swell Trip






















What a trip. Plus it was only 2 hours from Ephraim. We were going to Moab but my dad said we should go someplace closer like the San Rafael Swell. I didn't know about this area too much but we did a lot of research on the internet. My dad told me about this area after browsing around the internet and I looked for mountain bike trail in that area. I happened to find this, called Good Water Canyon Rim Trail. I did hear about it and looked at pictures of this trail when other people posted on their facebook status's. So, ya, I guess this is it. It is about 25 miles southeast of Huntington and Huntington is right on the other side of Ephraim mountains. So it was a quick drive, and the trail is right along The Wedge Overlook, other known as The Little Grand Canyon. It does look like the Grand Canyon and looked amazing when we got there.

The trail. The trail is unique. The whole 15 miles of singletrack goes along the rim of Good Water Canyon, like a cliff on the side the whole way. Amazing. Amazing killer views. Of course the trail on the map is shaped like a maple leaf and that's why it's so awesome and one of a kind. There were not really any lung bursting climbs, it just had lot's of turns, quite of bit of rocks here and there, and lot's of ups and downs. Not too exciting the only thing made this trail very enjoyable were the views. There were quite of few people too so I assume it's a popular place.

There were a lot of primative campgrounds so we camped a night after my bike ride. So on the first day, I did the whole trail then came back to the camp on the dirt road which made a 22 mile loop. Then the next morning I did half the trail but still rode about 17 miles. The night we were there was awesome, full moon and stars, and you can see the whole desert. It was beautiful. Won't ever forget this trip. For sure I will go many more times.

6 comments:

Tony said...

Pretty cool. I can't quite place where it is from the map..is it by devils racetrack or eagle canyon at all? The swell is awesome. we did the waterfall trail on one of the days. This sounds neat..maybe a little less technical..which shelly would like :)

Daniel said...

I think it's over by Buckhorn Wash if you know where that is. I don't know how far away it is from Devil's Racetrack, I think it is close though. The trail I biked on was a nonmotorized vehicle trail though, I think there are some other trails, I don't know much about the area though. I'd like to explore it some more.

Daniel said...

What's Waterfall Trail and where is it?

Tony said...

Oh i see..that's nice. It's south of I-70.
http://www.blazeofgloryoffroad.com/2011/04/waterfall-trail-single-track-dirt-bike.html

Putz said...

we ought to do a family thing there, lots of wide open spacwes and hardly anyone around

Daniel said...

I agree.