Saturday, January 22, 2011

The next big thing

This is the wood species my mom decided, actually everybody else. Knotty cherry.

The door style will be almost like this, raised panel with roman arch design:

The guy I used to work for about 3 years ago is going to do the kitchen for my mom and he said that I could help out. He was nice enough to do that I thought. We decided on the knotty cherry species with a clear finish on it. There will be some changes in the kitchen, the sink will be centered to the window, where it should be, the dishwasher will be in a different place, the false ceiling will be all gone and there will be more space, there will be no hangover cabinets above the bar, so we can see out more, there will be new cabinets all the way from the floor to the ceiling on the west wall, so that means there will be lot more cabinet space, and the microwave will be above the stove instead of the blower but the microwave will be the blower also.
On the flooring, we don't know for sure what kind of flooring yet but we are thinking 3/8 inch thick engineered flooring that covers all of the kitchen and dining room. The floor guy that did the carpet in the house said that I can use his nailer for me to do the floor. It's going to be a great nice lookin' kitchen!

6 comments:

Tony said...

That's going to be nice. Naughty Cherry looks good I think. People use to laugh when I said I use red hot stripper on my floors..back when I worked on floors. Not using real wood on the floors eh. Should be a killer kitchen when you're all done.

Daniel said...

Ha ha, that is funny. I remember doing electrical with Rob and one time I said, "I need strippers" (I was asking for the wire strippers). Then Rob said, "Me too". Man, we had a laugh. Ya, the engineered wood floor has a wood veneer on top so it is actually wood, just the 1/16 of an inch of it. Kind of like plywood. I guess it'll look nice.

Daniel said...

No, I don't think it's 1/16 of an inch, I think if I remember it right, it has a whole 1/8 of an inch of veneer on it. A lot of people even the floor guy said it's pretty good stuff, they said they use more of that stuff than the 3/4inch solid wood now days.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a great plan. I really like the floor to ceiling cabinets and the fact that the microwave will be above the stove. Having the microwave there will make more counter space. I read what you wrote to Rob and he laughed! He remembered that too.

Daniel said...

I can't believe Rob remembers that! That's funny. Yes, it should be a way better kitchen, I can't wait for you come and see it when it's done!

Putz said...

bah humbug quality cabinets, no good, naughty cherry very bad><<><>keep with the cheap stufff forever...that is my creed