Friday, October 29, 2010

Black Hill singletrack riding

All the pictures are in riding order(the route I usually go on):





This part is now I call the "Broken Saddle Climb" because this where I broke my bike saddle just climbing up on this sandy trail. I just heard one of the rails snap.










I went on a good ride today and was very happy to do so, I remember as soon as I got on the first part of the singletrack on the ride, I thought, "man, I love this, I love this" That is when I knew I was born to mountain bike, especially on stuff like this. I kept thinking this all the way climbing to the top of the hill, I say around a 1,300 vertical feet climb, don't know, wish I had a gps. I did have a bike computer and I logged in 8 miles for like 52 minutes. It was a tough climb mostly. Glad I had that Western Family apple sauce before I left because that stuff gives me a kick, no need for a gel. After all that rain and snow, the sand was really packed down so it was a little easier to climb up. Speaking of sand, on the sandy part of the trail, I was just pedaling sitting down, going up hill, I heard a snap, then I checked my saddle and saw that one of my railings was broken in half. I hope the warranty will cover it because I didn't wreck breaking it. I didn't do anything to it, just pedaled and biked around and all the sudden, it broke, or maybe I am so heavy or something.
I kept going up anyway because the saddle was still holding up with the other rail, the weather was perfect and I knew this is where I wanted to be at this moment, all alone, no one around, in the middle of no where(maybe a town 5 miles away, lol), so I felt pretty good too. Pretty good for having the stomach flu during 3 days before, I tells you, I'd rather be suffering up a climb than be home from work with a stomach bugger. Well, maybe anybody would, but maybe I'd rather be suffering a climb than being at work, there we go, that's more like it. I don't know, I like my job though but I still rather suffer on a climb than working.
The downhill on the other side of the hill was a blast, short but still a blast. I remember I got cold and it was 67 degrees, probably because I am still sick from the stomach flu. Well, it was really fun and I hope to do some more riding up there before it snows then after that, I will be riding it again in March, after the snow melts and dries up.

5 comments:

Tony said...

Lucky! I want a black hill in my back yard! Are any of those pics the new dirt bike trails you've been telling me about? I wanted to ride by the B after work Friday, but I had to work late. Was going to ride in Hyde Park today, but the trails are closed. Ended up carving punkins.

Daniel said...

Yes, they are the trails I have been talking about, there are more of them I haven't ridden on yet though, there are a lot of trails that the motor bikers made everywhere. The trails aren't super technical so they might be perfect for the boys too. You guys should bring your bikes during Thanksgiving and give them a try! Hopefully it won't snow before then. Usually you could ride on them until Christmas if your lucky. They are going to close them down this winter for the deer, don't know exactly when though. It's pouring rain outside now, glad I went yesterday, also this morning up by the Bailey's farm.

Daniel said...

They'll be open again in March, that's what I heard, so...

Tony said...

Cool! Yea it looks like the boys could go on them too. I've been wanting to take them on a trail near white wash and/or or the san rafael swell too. We may zip down there for a couple days after Thanksgiving.:)

Daniel said...

Awesome, I am sure the riding is better there!