Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The last three weeks of mountain biking....

As the mountain bike season and summer winds down, I always think of the great rides and training I did since April. It was positive and fun. Have I improved? Yes, I did. Did I have fun? Well, that's the most important part, I assume I did. If I still want to bike in the last three weeks this August, then I am having fun and that's a sign that I did not overtrain. Well, after this week of rest, I got to think how I can enjoy the last three weeks of mountain biking of the year, because after that, it's back to boring road riding until November and November is when I really slow down, probably will want to before the new 2009 bike season starts. Well, Brianhead mountain biking is on August 16th and that is probably the LAST bike trip of the year. I think about all the trips I did this year, such as: St. George, Park City, and Snowbasin. They were well worth it! And most fun of all, Ephraim Canyon mountain bike trails. Climbing up the Canyon Road was always a grand trip up. My favorite climb was the Willow Creek Trail in Willow Creek, that was a good short steep climb. I remember how tired I was. The next three weeks will be a farewell tour of Ephraim Canyon, like the Pioneer, Maple Syrup, and Flume Trails. Especially the Maple Syrup! That trail is getting funner every time. I really hope Brianhead will be a blast though.

11 comments:

Skybob said...

Dude, 3 weeks left of mountain biking?? Why only 3 weeks left?

Daniel said...

3 more weeks is when all the deer hunters go up. I don't want to get myself killed. I almost did one year. Sept. is the time to slow down and just do road riding.

Skybob said...

I'm sure you could find places to ride without hunters if they scare you. To each his own though. :) I guess we make enough noise that we don't have to worry about hunters, plus we usually start going to the deserts in Sept/Oct. There must be some pretty dumb hunters down there if they are shooting at mountain bikers..did you have antlers on your helmet and a furry butt or something?

Daniel said...

Actually the hunters down here are mostly drunk and all. So that's just the way it goes. Even a undrunk hunter can shoot you, it was Richard Stevens that was about to shoot me that one time. Redneck Sanpeters are just like that, they shoot anything that moves.

Daniel said...

It's the way my riding throughout the year goes anyway. I ride in the hills and mountains May to Aug. Then spring and fall time, I road ride down in the valley where it's not so cold and muddy. It's not fun to ride in the mud, and the cold. So, I get all my mountain biking in the mountains during summer time when it's nice and at the right temperature.

Skybob said...

I guess you have a smaller comfort zone than me.

Daniel said...

I don't know Tony, I ride my mountain bike in the mountains 3 times a week for a solid 4 and half months in the summer. And you go motor bike like once in while. I don't know how often you go motor bike. But after riding like every other day in the mountains that long, you get tired of it.

Skybob said...

Cool. That's fine if you get tired of it, that's just not what your post said. It seemed like you were bummed that you couldn't mountain bike anymore and it didn't make any sense, I mean really, it's only August..the middle of the summer in my book. Personally I think riding on the road is more dangerous than taking chances with the deer hunters LOL! :) I ride as much as I possibly can depending on my time constraints. I look forward to fall for the more mild temps for the desert riding, so I am just in a little different mode right now than you I guess. :) SWEET>>seeya

Skybob said...

By the way. It sounds like you have had a good summer riding all those places. We have enjoyed reading about your trips.

Daniel said...

Well, I am not tired of it exactly, I am bummed I can't go moutain biking. I agree with you that riding on the road is dangerous. I don't ride on the highway, I ride on the backroads, well, they are still dangerous, in my opinion. A lunatic just purposely hit a road cyclist on Mirror Lake highway with his truck and now he's in jail. It seems to me that hates bikers or something. Everybody does. I guess you got to take the risk and pray it doesn't happen to you, that's all you could do I guess. I wish you can mountain bike on flat trails all fall where there are no hunters, that's what I want. I kind of like road cycling too. That's why I got a road bike.

Daniel said...

I really like to go to the mountains with a nice mountain breeze and lots of trees. I don't like the desert as much, I only ride in the desert when there's snow in the mountains. But I do a whole lot more riding in the mountains throughout the year. I still go in the mountains in the winter time and go snowshoeing, now that is fun.