Saturday, February 16, 2008

Salem Project...

Yesterday and Thursday, my boss and I went to Woodland Hills near Salem(between Spanish Fork and Payson) to install some crappy prefabs in a $400,000 home. It was fun and a lot of work. They don't look too bad but I really don't like prefabricated cabinets. I don't why the contractor wants prefabs in all of the nice homes he built, so he can save a few thousand on each home to buy him a truck? Probably. I really like the home, I would buy it if there were some REAL cabinets in it, and better electrical.
Nice staircase, the only thing I like about this home. Oh, and the $3,000 wood front door too.

My boss installed all the kitchen cabinets and I did all the bathrooms and the laundry room. The picture above is the master bath. I did those.


After we were done Friday at noon, my boss and I decided to go boy shopping all afternoon in the Provo area. We went to Timberline Woodworking Supply, Western Tool Supply, Lowe's, and Home Depot. My boss bought an 18 volt DeWalt drill and I bought a DeWalt miter saw. I really love my saw. I bought it from Western Tool Supply. My boss bought the drill from Timberline Woodworking Supply. They are really good stores. Much better than Lowe's or Home Depot.








11 comments:

Shell said...

Nice work. I think you are right about the contractor. They cut costs anywhere they can to make more money, thats just how it goes.

Skybob said...

Pretty nice!, I wouldn't want to spend $400,000 on a house though. The "real" cabinents would make it more, so I would be even less interested in that kind of a house, but everyone is different I suppose. I know Shelly would like some nicer cabinents SOMEDAY.. #347 on our list! Or 3,476 on my list..probably like 35 on Shelly's list, so in 35 years or so.....LOL(I am cool,
I did the LOL thing!)LOL, ha ha I am laughing out loud!

Skybob said...

Yea Shelly is probably right. Cost cutting etc. They probably pocket the profit, or at least some of it and most people wouldn't know the difference. The same thing happens with Robert's builders, they have a hard time selling a house for more because it has a better furnace and a/c so they get the price down for the customer and pocket some it for themselves too.

Anonymous said...

It looks like you did a great job Dan! I don't even know how to tell a pre-fab from a custom cabinet. I bet we have pre-fab cabinets. You will have to check it out the next time you are here!

Becky Barlow said...

Good working Dan! I'm pretty impressed.

Skybob said...

Ours are REALLY nice. They are made from a special wood hybrid called "particle board". They hold the dishes, and they match the pre-fabbed wood hybrid pantry we got at Lowe's.

Daniel said...

Well Karen, prefabricated cabinets are kind of shitty and they only last 7 years. Custom cabinets cost a lot more and they last 25-30 years. Prefabricated cabinet people don't even take their time making them, They just get a hot glue gun and just swing it and leave a hot glue mark on top of the cabinets not doing anything. I keep wondering why they do that and my boss has no clue.

Skybob said...

I guess ours must be custom, they are over 30 years old.

Skybob said...

..sorry Shelly corrected me, they are almost 30 years old.

Daniel said...

Cool, I bet they are custom, you can still have prefabricated cabinets for thirty years but they would be all apart and kind of crappy, look so old, etc. Mom's cabinets are prefabs but the drawers haven't worked in years, the shelves are icky, the lazy susan hasn't worked in years, the finish doesn't look so good, and the sink cabinet fell apart a long time ago. Mom needs new cabinets bad, like everybody else I guess.

Lucy Stern said...

I think my cabniet must be custom, because they are really sturdy and nice. What I really need is a new tile floor and counter tops. We have laminate now, but I hope to change them out for something better.